Thursday, February 21, 2019

Reflection on part three...

Segregation & Desegregation:
AKA the biggest topics in this part of the book

In class on February 14th we were broken up into two groups of 5 students and we had to complete an assignment silently at first and then collectively with 4 recorders and 1 facilitator. I took the role of the facilitator while my classmates wrote down some of the notes they took on part three and my job was to circle ideas I wanted to be expanded or elaborated on while also drawing lines between ideas I felt connected in some way. The most difficult part of this task for my classmates more than myself (being that I was the facilitator) was having to stay silent but writing their own notes on the board with 3 others trying to do the same as well. The difficulty of being the facilitator and staying silent was when I circled an idea and my classmate was not sure why I did that. However, as a class I believe we all did phenomenally well with this assignment and the pictures below prove how we all work well in groups together.

My group went from:

            This                              to                        This
I do not think I have ever been a part of a group that clicked so well and worked so easily together. We were all finishing each others sentences and thoughts that we meshed so well for this assignment. As the facilitator I had a more difficult job because I had to circle words or ideas I believed needed to be elaborated on. As my group was writing their notes onto the paper I noticed from the start that almost all of their notes were elaborated and not just small words or phrases, which caused my job to be a little harder. But then I thought why not have them expand on certain words to tell me what exactly they meant or what they believed was meant by it such as: national experience, settings, issues, and so called white public school. My next task was to draw arrows between ideas that meshed or went with each other which realistically could have been the entire paper because all of these notes were from the same part of the book about the same topics. It is in a way like a domino effect, one of these ideas happened which trickled down into other ideas or occurrences. 


 The other group went from:

                   This                      to                        This
The other group certainly took a different approach by writing smaller words and phrases which as pictured, were almost all circled to be elaborated or expanded on. However, the result was the same as my group, a neat list that is like a domino effect too. 

Isn't it fascinating to see how a cluster of ideas can be put into a neat and organized piece of paper filled with ideas and thoughts from multiple students?

2 comments:

  1. Hello Elizabeth,

    First off, I love the writing style on your blog.It was great working with you on this assignment you did a great job as the facilitator. Our group gel very well together even though we were not allow to speak. Elizabeth, you should give the class a quick demonstration of how to make our blog look as beautiful as your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i liked the comparison you did between your group and our group and how you smart to post the classwork on your blogger and the results that we had different ways but we almost reach to the same result and i believe it was the purpose that Dr. Rosen wanted to see to start with multiple ideas and then get them organized well which i love it .

    ReplyDelete